Date: 11/4/18 8:11 am
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: nuthatches
I think it's interesting just how many red-breasted nuthatches people
are reporting this year. In the years(not that many) we've been birding,
and longer that we've been watchers, I think last winter or the one
before we had one at our feeder and it was not there long... maybe a day
or two. This year we had one lighter one we figure may be female for
days before a darker(male?) showed up. They've been sticking around
quite a bit. Are they in our yard for the season?

Another thing I'm curious about is the white-breasted nuthatches.
Normally, we see them ALL the time. I've seen a few in the yard a time
or two lately but, I've seen them a LOT less than normal this season.
I started to wonder if the presence of the red-breasted was interfering
with their normal behavior but, one day we watched both species in the
same large tree not appearing to be bothered by each other.
In the weeks we've had the feeder up, though, we have not had a
white-breasted at it at all which is quite unusual for our yard.
I wish I could read their minds sometimes... There are times where I
like to assume or interpret their behavior to tell me what they're
thinking and feeling...  Lots of times it's just fun guessing of course.
But this seems a mystery to me. Certainly the white-breasted have seen
all the action and know our feeder is stocked by now... so, what's going
on with them?

Daniel Mason