Date: 11/3/18 5:16 pm
From: Hal Michael <ucd880...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] A rare Mandarin duck is hanging out in NYC's Central Park and nobody knows how it got there - CNN
I believe that at least for a while they were reasonably self-sustaining in Stanley Park. Also, they seem to have established a small population in the Napa/Sonoma/Mendocino area. They seem to be a bit more cold tolerant than Woodies, especially for spring nesting, so they might be at a competitive advantage up here.

They have also established a fairly strong population in England.

Obviously, most are escapees but they do have the ability to go feral. Most breeders that I am aware of allow the female to incubate and raise the ducklings so there is a lot of nature in their nurture.

Hal Michael
Science Outreach Director, Sustainable Fisheries Foundation
Olympia WA
360-459-4005
360-791-7702 (C)
<ucd880...>