Date: 11/3/18 5:54 am
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Many sparrows of the field, but not Nelson's
Warm, sunny, and calm yesterday, so David Oakley and I returned to the broad, wet fields at Frog Bayou WMA along Sharp Chapel Road, so very, very promising for Nelsonís Sparrow. There were HUNDREDS of Song Sparrows, Swamp Sparrows, and Savannah Sparrows, plus a feathered sprinkling of White-crowned Sparrows (1) and Lincolnís Sparrows (2). We very, very carefully worked the LeConteís Sparrows (6-8) we saw, but alas, no Nelsonís yesterday. Northern Harriers (3+) were working these fields -- look like they will be pretty good for wintering Short-eared Owls. This is the same place where Bill and Toka Beall found them last winter. We had a fast-fast fly-by of a pale Merlin, maybe the same individual of the prairie race we saw October 31. I have never heard so much singing by Song Sparrows, a real joy and compensation for not finding Nelsonís. As we were leaving, flocks of American White Pelicans were floating down near the Arkansas River. We disturbed Winter Wrens (2) by the little marsh right along the road.

Join us on Facebook!