Date: 11/2/18 4:40 pm
Subject: confusing fall warbler for a so-so birder
Last weekend (Oct 27 or 28) I had a bland little warbler foraging in a
medium-sized eastern red cedar tree in the yard here in Little Washington
on the Pamlico. I had just a few glimpses of it (and only one quick look
through the binocs) before it took off, but got a decent look at two field
marks in particular:

- multiple thin dull streaks on a very light breast
- had one good dorsal view of the bird showing an overall dull color but
with a good sized olive green patch on the lower back to rump (not really a
"patch", as the oval of olive green blended into the rather dull gray or
dun-gray rest of the back of the bird)

The other "field mark" in terms of behavior: This bird went rather
variously among the foliage of the cedar tree, turning sideways and around,
moving frequently and in variously angled poses. About 15 feet up most of
the time. Active, for a warbler, but not excessively active like a
kinglet. And seemed to be after something(s) tucked away all inside and
about the cedar tree.

The rest of the bird was just pretty dull. I thought it was just pale
underneath, but didn't get a good look at the undertail coverts. And the
head and face, blandish, all I got was a somewhat dark small eye & if any
facial markings, they were not strong.

I guess it could be a dull version of palm warbler. Is there anything else
I should be looking at?

Betsy Kane
Washington, N.C.

Join us on Facebook!