Date: 11/2/18 4:26 pm
From: Gina Nichol via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] A lesson in birding lexicon? What's a "wader" as per Wader Conservation World Watch?
Hi all,
After my post about the Wader Conservation World Watch this weekend, I
was politely reminded that the term "wader" means different things to
different people. To clarify, in this context we are talking about
shorebirds, not long legged waders like herons. In Europe, shorebirds
are called waders.

I should have known that this might be a little confusing having spent a
bit of time birding in Europe as the birding lexicon is indeed different
across the pond. On more than one occasion, when someone has reported a
"redwing" on the CT listserv, I immediately thought they were reporting
the European thrush called Redwing (Turdus iliacus) rather than
Red-winged Blackbird.

At least on this side of the pond, we don't call Great Egrets, Great
White Egrets. That drives me nuts over there.

Have a great weekend.
Gina