Date: 11/2/18 3:15 pm
Subject: Re: Apparent large flock of Franklin's Gulls at Ecusta Pond, Transylvania Co NC
I agree with Jelmer. Franklin's Gulls are fairly late southbound migrants
thru the middle of the continent, such as the latter part of October and
into November. This has been a very strong frontal system with many
thunderstorms in states to our west. These bird almost certainly were
pushed eastward by this very unsettled weather. There would not be that
many Laughing Gulls in the mountains now -- no hurricane or tropical storm
activity. That would be much more of a shock there and now than Franklin's
Gulls.

Yes, the previous state record is 7 -- also from the southern mountains,
and also in the first 10 days of November -- a parallel indeed.

It does look like I can make out a bit of a white band near the wingtips of
one or two birds. I hope the eBird editors can correct this to 37
Franklin's Gulls, and then accept that -- rather than simply rejecting a
photo report of 37 Laughing Gulls.

Harry LeGrand
author/editor of the Birds of North Carolina website

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 5:49 PM Jelmer Poelstra <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A flock of 37 gulls reported as Laughing Gulls at Ecusta
> Pond, Transylvania Co, NC, appear to be Franklin's Gulls, as far as I can
> see from the one (distant) picture at
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ebird.org_view_checklist_S49624904&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=JvXMMnT_-rpNQf1iV1Ve42DdVjcchVYNFXLyw8pKGas&s=uOmBOclb2tw9xxRrhIRq1Gzs323wsioOo1gr6v3hpI0&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ebird.org_view_checklist_S49624904&d=DwMFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=lwaiR3LkCNcfAFF7mDglYCzMwrsGSKigh4JXXW0Zi4A&s=ndc5yRm143kNKRsGsABIsD-yPvc3BvbOH88xPhYhHfw&e=>
> .
>
> Thought I would get the word out as people close by may still be able to
> chase them.
>
> If confirmed, an unprecedented number for North Carolina? The high count
> in Ebird is 7 on Nov 9, 2008.
>
> Good birding,
>
> Jelmer Poelstra
> Chapel Hill
>
> --
> Jelmer Poelstra
> 311 Biological Sciences Building, Biology Department
> Duke University Durham, NC
> Email: <jelmerpoelstra...> / <jelmer.poelstra...>
> Phone: (+1) 919-260-8253

Join us on Facebook!