Date: 11/2/18 12:50 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Visit To The Piping Plover & Adventures With A Cattle Egret Friday 11-2-18
Hello Bird People,

I wanted to get the Montrose Piping Plover for my November shorebird
list as shorebirds in that month are not easy to come by. Since I was
elsewhere yesterday I made a Montrose visit today.
Started walking the beach at 7:15 a.m. when it was still slightly dark
& right away I saw the PIPING PLOVER & it acted like it had just been
asleep. The only other shorebirds I found were 10 Sanderlings but I
see on ebird that others later had more than 10. Left by 8 a.m.after a
short visit which included seeing 1 immature BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON
at it's usual spot by the pier.

Next back to Orland Grasslands South where I missed the Cattle Egret
yesterday although not for a lack of trying. As I drove by the
retention pond at 104th & 179th just west of the forest preserve I
could see a small Egret but it had it's back to me. Parked in the lot
& walked back to the pond where I saw the bird well enough to be sure
it was the CATTLE EGRET. Then as I really had nothing else to do I
watched the Cattle Egret from 9:15 to 10 a.m. to see just what it
would do.
What it did was walk 3/4 of the circuit around the entire pond from
the S.E. corner all the way to the far N.E. corner by a yellow fire
hydrant. While walking it was looking for food in all the tall
vegetation along the pond edges. At least 10 times it found food as it
went through a swallowing routine that was easy to observe. Finally at
10 a.m. having completed all sides of the pond except the east side it
decided to fly over to the Orland Grasslands itself.

Walked over there myself & started walking the bike path back into the
preserve & there was the Cattle Egret walking the same bike path back
toward the parking lot. But it didn't seem to be doing very well
finding food & after 10 min it flew back to the fire hydrant & picked
up where it left off & proceeded to walk the only section of the pond
edge it hadn't checked before. This took another 20 min so the Egret
took 1 hour & 5 min to complete the entire circuit with another 10 min
walking the bike path. I hope at least some of you will find the
Egrets actions interesting.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the walking Cattle Egret & Runners-Up to the
continuing Piping Plover &
a fly-by Bald Eagle which I saw on the way to Orland Grasslands.

Al Stokie
Trying again on the Egret & finding it

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: