Date: 11/2/18 11:34 am
From: Thomas Love <tlove...>
Subject: [obol] Willamina Black Scoter
Thanks to Paul for taking a couple of us down Thursday morning, I was afforded extended blowout looks at the female BLACK SCOTER at Huddleston Pond, Willamina. I write to urge anyone with a chance to stop by (assuming the bird hangs).

Though Black Scoters are the least common of our three scoters, you can find them at predictable places on the coast in winter (e.g., Moolach Beach north of Newport). The trouble is they're always in the surf, and often viewed from above, so viewing is typically not ideal. With this Willamina bird on a flat pond, at close range, I've never had such an opportunity to carefully observe the plumage and even behavioral details of this species - the darker neck collar, the subtle lightening of the underparts from breast to belly, the shape of the bill, etc.

Tom

Join us on Facebook!