Date: 11/2/18 10:40 am
Subject: Covey of quail crosses farm path
Around 1240 PM I was driving to the road to drop composted organic matter that I had cleaned out from a sump, when I started seeing one, two three... quail? Thought it had to be mockers (7+ with short tails?) or, when some more flew up, doves.
They started flying at about 100 feet distance, and probably crossed the paved road to a cotton field backed by a cutover cut 2 years ago. (Looked so small because my 25 day old broilers are so much bigger.)
Perhaps my listening to the radio on earmuffs is why I had not heard these birds in the last few weeks they may have been here. Maybe I need to try broadcasting the covey call eve and dawn.
In the years I have been here, we regularly have a male(or two or three) singing within earshot, but this was a shock.

Notice I did not post this as "Great view of cool rare birds."

Everybody who reads Carolinabirds would prefer descriptive titles.
It really helps one use the delete button or just skip over a post one does not want tot read.
Both those who think politics, religion and birder sociology are out of bounds, and those crazy enough to tell what they think relates to birding and birds' needs--I think all would prefer that.

Frank Enders, Halifax, NC

Join us on Facebook!