Date: 11/2/18 9:07 am
From: Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Lighthouse Park - Quick October Summary

'A fantastic ("historically normal") October, as a result of those regular cold fronts, mentioned in a post earlier this month. SO much better than the last 2 seasons. See for yourself:
https://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=138&ryear=2018&rmonth=10&sec=prevm
Some random thoughts:  Big numbers of Bald Eagles (199) really behaved and went E to W, with no real bias from local birds.  Best harriers in 10 years and a great rebound of Sharpies. October Lighthouse record for Coops.  Great falcon numbers.  Afternoon coverage was low, but typical of previous seasons.  We'd have certainly added a few more falcons had we stayed.
November can be great at Lighthouse and Quaker Ridge.  You just need to be thicker skinned (or have more adipose tissue).  November cold fronts (Red-tails, Red-shouldereds) tend to be a bit nippier than August cold fronts (Orioles, Kingbirds).

Next good day?  Who knows.  I'll be poking around early Sunday for all avian migrants.

Steve MayoBethany