Date: 11/2/18 5:47 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (01 Nov 2018) 96 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 1

Total: 96 96 7113

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Evelyn Fowles, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Kathleen Pileggi,
Mike Fowles

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (10): Jean-Marie Gauthier, Mike & Evelyn Fowles, Jerry Jeffers,
Jim Balint, Sue McLaughlin, Kathleen Pileggi, Francine Joyce-Martin, Tracy
Murdaugh
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy - Partly Sunny (75-25% cloud cover), Ceiling - 22,000-30,000
ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 54 - 73F, Winds S @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (85).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-4
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Ah, November – the month for western strays! Will one
come our way? I am watching the feeders, snags and exposed perches for
“likely rarities.” [oxymoron?] We had a very late Monarch come by,
thrilling Evelyn & Mike. It was among our 5 species of butterflies seen
today. And thanks guys, for your kind gift of the Monarch t-shirt!
Kathleen later came, and she loved it, Mike & Evelyn! We all heard a very
late Katydid calling this warm day.
<BR><BR>
Sue was out spinning some yarn about Ian having told her he just banded a
Golden Eagle. Knowing that was not a possibility, just considering the
small passerine mist nests he uses. [Let alone Susan’s innate ability to
screw up what she hears.] I told her she was wrong. Can you even imagine
a Golden Eagle in one of those nets!?
<BR><BR>
“What do you want to bet?” Asked Sue. “He said it was hunting from a tree
and came down.”
<BR><BR>
“I’ll bet our cars.” I challenged as I wondered what color the sky is in
“Sue’s world.” “There’s zero chance THAT happened, Sue! I’ll bet somehow
you’re confusing maybe a Golden-crowned Kinglet.”
<BR><BR>
“You’re on!” Came her reply. “Or we can bet a bottle of “Wild Turkey.”
<BR><BR>
I hastened off an email to Ian. Here’s his reply: “Hi Larry, I think she
means a golden-crowned kinglet - quite a size difference!” I’m certain
Ian’s laughter matched my own. I forwarded the response to Sue, who had
left [likely driving her car for a final time].
<BR><BR>
“Do you even drink?” Came an email from Sue.
<BR><BR>
“Not really Sue, but I am a quick study and in your case I’ll make an
exception!” I said. “I definitely can drive your car, though!!”
<BR><BR>
So, you’ll see me either driving a new car or a bit inebriated on the Wild
Turkey [not simultaneously]. I believe Sue had already been “with” the
bottle already. A Golden Eagle caught in a passerine mist net, hunting
from a tree, and NOT mentioned to me, even if he just saw one? Come on,
Sue! You gotta lay off “the sauce!” You’ve been blogged, Susan – welcome
to the club! [You will wash your hands before eating, right? Hey, I know,
have some GOLDEN crisp French fries, why don’t you?] I think this might
just be the story that keeps on giving!!
<BR><BR>
“Grillmaster Jerry” arrived with a couple 1.5 pound boneless Delmonico
steaks for grilling, while we watch. Does it get any better??
<BR><BR>
We identified 46 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, American
Kestrel, Hermit Thrush, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Palm Warbler, White-crowned
Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch. There was nothing new for this
year’s “hawk watch area” species list. [141 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Hermit Thrush, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Palm Warbler, White-crowned Sparrow,
Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Monarch - 1, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye. Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.11; Steps: 6,464; Floors: 5.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 46; this season: 141
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like I could be another wash-out with showers.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek