Date: 11/1/18 11:51 pm
From: ALAN ANDERSON <casresearch...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Baker's Lake and Crabtree Nature Center birds , Nov 1, 2018 (Bald Eagle and Bonaparte's Gull at both)
Beryl Ibbotson and I birded two locations in northwest Cook County this morning - Baker's Lake (from Hillside/NW Highway lot), and Crabtree Nature Center (Palatine Road).

12 species at Baker's Lake, including an adult BALD EAGLE on the center heron nest platforms and a BONAPARTE'S GULL. We also saw one small shorebird (not a Killdeer or larger)walking on a spit but it was too far out to ID.

33 species at Crabtree Nature Center, with most birds at or around the feeders by the NC building or waterfowl on the main lake. Highlights were dozens of HOODED MERGANSER, a male REDHEAD, a pair of BUFFLEHEAD, a few RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, one FOX SPARROW, a single BONAPARTE'S GULL and a pair of adult BALD EAGLES flying over my head on the Bur Edge trail.

eBird lists for both locations below.

Alan Anderson, Des Plaines, <casresearch...>

1) Bakers Lake/Ron Beese Park, Cook, Illinois, US
Nov 1, 2018 8:30 AM - 9:00 AM
Protocol: Transect
0.1 mile(s)
Comments: with Beryl I; mainly from Hillside Road parking lot observations
12 species (+2 other taxa)

Mallard 9
duck sp. 6 near mallards close to Beese Park area unable to get details
Pied-billed Grebe 1
shorebird sp. 1 on spit in the middle - not a Killdeer but unable to tell if it was a peep, Dunlin, Pectoral Sandpiper or Sanderling etc as too far away and dim light; shorter legs than a yellowlegs or snipe etc.
Bonaparte's Gull 1 on east side of spit with RBGU's
Ring-billed Gull 15
Double-crested Cormorant 4
Great Blue Heron 1 on west side of spit
Bald Eagle 1 adult on one of the heron/cormorant nesting platforms
Downy Woodpecker 1 heard
American Crow 18 mainly in a few of trees along south border of lake with a few flying around also; later most flew away
American Robin 1
Song Sparrow 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1 heard

2) > Subject: eBird Report - Crabtree Nature Center, Nov 1, 2018

> Crabtree Nature Center, Cook, Illinois, US
> Nov 1, 2018 9:05 AM - 12:35 PM
> Protocol: Transect
> 3.1 mile(s)
> Comments: with Beryl I until 9:50 (feeders and lake only) then walked Phantom Prairie and Bur Edge trails and returned to spend more time looking at lake waterfowl; 1 deer on prairie trail; fox and gray squirrels
> 33 species (+1 other taxa)
>
> Canada Goose 75 at least 60 on lake during second visit and a few flocks observed flying around over trails
> Wood Duck 11 northwest corner along edge then swam away; ~ equal # males and females
> Mallard 35 most flying around over the entire site; likely more
> Redhead 1 a lone male on Crabtree Lake
> Bufflehead 2 pair near Wood Ducks
> Hooded Merganser 65 between 65-70 on Crabtree Lake; all over the lake swimming around and feeding
> Pied-billed Grebe 2 far north edge of ponds along Bur Edge trail
> Mourning Dove 14 most on ground by feeders (more under feeders farthest from building
> Killdeer 2 on the long piece of land on west end of Crabtree Lake
> Bonaparte's Gull 1 with RBGUs on Crabtree Lake
> Ring-billed Gull 10 rough estimate Crabtree Lake
> Double-crested Cormorant 2 two single flyovers
> Bald Eagle 2 pair adults flying together over Bur Edge trail (west)
> Red-tailed Hawk 1 perched in tree along Palatine Road
> Red-bellied Woodpecker 9 singles all over including 2 on feeders
> Downy Woodpecker 3 separate locations
> Hairy Woodpecker 1 heard along south west section Bur Edge Trail
> Blue Jay 4 one group of two and two singles
> American Crow 11 along wetland north of Palatine Road
> Black-capped Chickadee 6 most around feeders
> Red-breasted Nuthatch 3 all around feeders by Nature Center
> White-breasted Nuthatch 7 all but one around feeders by Nature Center
> Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1 heard then seen along Phantom Prairie trail
> American Robin 26 flocks of 11 and 12 and a few single birds
> House Finch 4 around feeders; possibly another group flying over Bur Edge Trail but not sure
> American Goldfinch 6 all but one around feeders
> American Tree Sparrow 3 Phantom Prairie Trail
> Fox Sparrow 1 perched in tree near Nature Center (but did not see at feeders)
> Dark-eyed Junco 8 around feeders
> White-throated Sparrow 3 all around feeders
> Song Sparrow 6 on trails
> sparrow sp. 2 flushed from side of Phantom Prairie Trail but flew away quickly into distance grasses
> Red-winged Blackbird 70 one flock of 60-65 flew over prairie, two males near feeders and a number of other small numbers flying over trails
> Northern Cardinal 3 female at feeder and a pair on Bur Edge trail
>
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49612861
>
> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Posted by: ALAN ANDERSON <casresearch...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)