Date: 11/1/18 8:35 pm
From: Ross Silcock <silcock...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Holmes Lake, Lincoln Field Trip 3 Nov 2018 with guide Esa Jarvi
Hi all,

I'm posting this on behalf of John Carlini, Field Trip Coordinator for Wachiska Audubon in Lincoln. Great opportunity to visit this bird magnet!

It's hard to imagine a more convenient birding site than the smorgasbord of diverse habitats that Holmes Lake provides in the middle of Lincoln. Esa Jarvi will guide Wachiska Audubon's November outing as we scout the lake and surrounding park's marshy edges, prairie grasses, and stands of pine trees. Esa's passion for nature is apparent in the knowledgable insights he's willing to share and his avian tidbits that birders can appreciate. Holmes Lake attracts an assortment of waterfowl during the late autumn season, with migrant sparrows and conifer-loving birds like Red-breasted Nuthatches often found in the habitat havens around the lake's perimeter.

We'll meet 9:00 a.m. Saturday, November 3 in Lincoln at the Holmes Lake parking lot on the north end of the lake accessed east of the dam from Holmes North Shore Road off of Normal Boulevard. Bring binoculars and scope if you have them and dress to spend time outdoors. Porta-potties are available at the park. There is no fee required and the public is welcome.

-John Carlini, Lincoln

Ross Silcock
Seasonal Reports Compiler
Nebraska Bird Review