Date: 11/1/18 5:52 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Orland Grasslands South, McGinnis Slough & Saganashkee Slough Thursday 11-1-18
Hello Bird People,

I knew it was a long shot but today I went to look for the Cattle
Egret seen yesterday by Michael M
at Orland Grasslands South. It wasn't where it was seen yesterday &
after 2 hours of looking I'd say it wasn't anywhere else at this
location but I have been know to miss birds seen by others.
The highlight here was when I found the sign dedicated to Wes Serafin
at the S.E. corner of the preserve. It has a smiling Wes Serafin on
the sign just like he just saw the Cattle Egret I missed.
It's a nice memorial to Wes.

Orland Grasslands South (7:30-9:30 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (2)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Geese (100's flying around & in the water)
Mallard (~80), PINTAIL (4) & Lesser Scaup (2)
Coots (25)
GREATER YELLOWLEGS (1 calling it's 3 note call, poorly seen, I.D.ed by the call)
Blue Jays, Juncos & Lapland Longspur (3 flying by while making the
rattling call)

McGinnis Slough (9:45-10:45 a.m.)

Most of the many ducks were closer than last time when almost all were
at the far west side.
But there were still plenty that could not be I.D.ed due to distance.

P.B. Grebe (2)
Canada Geese (only 3)
Wood Duck (2), Mallard (40), Shoveler (35), Gadwall (80), Wigeon (15),
G.W. Teal (15),
Ring Necked Duck (50), Lesser Scaup (4), Bufflehead (20) & Ruddy Duck (10)
Coots (maybe 500 to 600)
(plus about 300 ducks that could not be I.D.ed)
Land birds were Red Bellied Woodpecker, Blue Jays, Chickadees & one
W.B. Nuthatch

Saganashkee Slough (11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)

Common Loon (2)
P.B. Grebe (8)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Geese (42)
CANVASBACK (1), Lesser Scaup (33) COMMON GOLDENEYE (1) & Ruddy Duck (6)
Red Breasted (3), Common (2) & Hooded (24) Mergansers
BONAPARTE'S GULL (3)
Ring Billed (34) & Herring (2) Gulls

A quick stop at the Little Red School House found only Red Wings &
House Sparrows at the feeders but a Sharp Shinned Hawk flew by.

Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the 4 nice Pintails at Orland Grasslands South &
Runners-Up to the single Canvasback & Goldeneye at Saganashkee making it an
all duck awards day. Both the Canvasback & Goldeneye were 1st of the
season for me.

Al Stokie
In western Cook County today not finding the Cattle Egret

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: