Date: 11/1/18 7:36 am
Subject: Late fall migrants in northern Watauga County, NC; 1 November 2018
Birders,

I had an immature magnolia warbler and a Swainson’s thrush on my morning walk on my property located at 3,400 feet elevation in northern Watauga County. I have had migrant hermit thrushes the past several weeks but this is the first Swainson’s since Oct 21—at the time my latest fall record. My first November records for both species in 10 years birding almost daily at this location.

Complete list below:

Echo Valley Farm
Nov 1, 2018
8:00 AM
Traveling
0.75 miles
90 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.8.1 Build 4

4 Red-tailed Hawk
2 Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 Downy Woodpecker
1 Hairy Woodpecker
1 Pileated Woodpecker
1 Eastern Phoebe
2 Blue Jay
10 American Crow
4 Common Raven
6 Carolina Chickadee
2 Tufted Titmouse
4 White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern)
2 Winter Wren
2 Carolina Wren
8 Golden-crowned Kinglet
5 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
7 Eastern Bluebird (Eastern)
1 Swainson's Thrush (Olive-backed) -- One was observed perched and on the ground in medic hardwood forest. Uniform olive gray upperparts including tail, buffy eyering, buffy throat with dark spots clearly seen. My latest fall record in ten years living here.
66 American Robin
29 Purple Finch (Eastern) -- Several flocks up to a dozen individuals flying overhead
2 American Goldfinch
2 Field Sparrow
1 Fox Sparrow (Red)
1 Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)
4 Song Sparrow
1 Eastern Towhee (Red-eyed)
1 Magnolia Warbler -- Immature seen very well in blackberry thicket near my house. White wing-bars, yellow underparts and rump with grayish breast band and black streaking on sides. Under tail white with black tip. Unmistakable. The latest record for my property in ten years living here.
1 Palm Warbler (Yellow)

Number of Taxa: 28

Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm