Date: 11/1/18 5:55 am
From: Richard Trinkner <richardinboulder...>
Subject: [cobirds] Finally, in Boulder
I've wanted to see a White-throated Sparrow in Boulder County for nearly 25
years. Whenever one is posted on Cobirds or eBird, I race off to try to
find it, but I've always dipped, and trudged away from the site with the
feeling that White-throated Sparrows are birds that other people see in
Boulder.

Until today.

After work, I wandered over to the Boulder Community Gardens a block away
from my home, in hopes that I might catch a decent photo of a starling or a
robin.

As I was photographing a White-crowned Sparrow in the lovely horizontal
light of a late-October evening, I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool
if a White-throated Sparrow popped up right here?" And then, as if cued by
an off-stage director, a White-throated Sparrow popped up, literally
exactly centered in my camera's viewfinder. I didn't even have to
re-focus. I just pressed down on the shutter button, and there it was.

Wow.

Other cool birds at the Boulder Community Gardens: two adult-plumaged Bald
Eagles sparring with each other in mid-air. I managed a decent photo of
them, too. Three Cedar Waxwings, which also posed for my lens. And a
first-of-the-season American Tree Sparrow perched in the fading light.

If you'd like to see the photos, they're here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49588574.

Good birding everybody. This October has been a magical month for Boulder
birds.

Richard Trinkner
Boulder