Date: 11/1/18 4:34 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (31 Oct 2018) 106 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 1

Total: 106 2603 7017

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 11.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Hank Davis, Howard Campbell, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Howard Campbell, Norm Lincoln, Hank Davis, Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Cloudy (50% cloud cover), Ceiling - 28,000-30,000 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 44 - 65F, Winds South @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (72) and Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-2; adult-6
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Trick or Treat? What will today be? I think I’ll treat
myself to our third and fourth Golden Eagles of the season today. Let’s
see if that happens. That would be a doozy of a day, would it not?
Being Wednesday, Howard was out with his offering of bird seed. Thanks,
Howard! The woodpeckers look forward to your visits! Lots of finches were
in feeding at our feeders, feeding on the goldenrod seed heads, or just
flying over. Today’s sky was absolutely perfect, with a nice background of
high clouds with interesting patterns to use for observer directions. We
were able to pick out 2 complete sets of Hank’s ribs [a long story]. The
seasonably warm weather stirred the remaining butterflies too, with 5
species coming by. Hank demanded three “celebratory pretzels” for finding
a “gray ghost” – the nickname commonly referring to a very pale male
Northern Harrier. THREE!! He’s eating me out of house and home! [and
eating himself into a larger size of shorts!] Kathleen said, “That gray
ghost is for Halloween!” You’re on to something, Kathleen! A fun day, but
sadly, no Golden Eagle came by to validate my prediction. That’s OK, I can
keep on predicting them, right? I’m just bound to be right once in a
while!
<BR><BR>
We identified 47 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk,
American Kestrel, Double-crested Cormorant, COMMON RAVEN, Palm Warbler,
White-crowned Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch. Nothing new for this
year’s “hawk watch area” species list was seen. [141 species for the
season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Double-crested Cormorant, COMMON RAVEN, Palm Warbler, White-crowned
Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Cabbage White, Clouded Sulphur,
Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye. Dragonflies (0).
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.15; Steps: 10,465; Floors: 3.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 141
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks OK, but the winds, although light, are from an
unfavorable direction.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: