Date: 10/31/18 5:24 pm
From: 'Suzanne (Moses) Vedder' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: Re: [birders] What is the bulge?
I've seen my Jay's do the same thing. I believe it is a full crop. They fly off, regurgitate some of it and cache it.
Suzanne in Big Rapids

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 7:17 PM, Sally K. Scheer<winerat...> wrote:
What is the bulge?
My sister in the UP (Brimley) has a very active feeder. Lots of interesting birds on her acreage that used to be a hunting camp full of wonderful variety. She is a keen observer of all things natural and is puzzled by this bluejay that seems to have an extra bulge below his beak. It is present every time he visits the feeder and differs from other bluejays that also visit regularly. We wondered if it was a full crop? It’s there every time he visits and doesn’t seem to enlarge as he vigorously scoops up black sunflower seeds.

IS it a full crop? If so, why does it not appear to change size as he stuffs more seed in?

Sally Scheer

Now back below the bridge, a troll again <<...>> <<...>>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/000601d4716f%24e3229530%24a967bf90%24%40com.

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<508828294.20803294.1541031840767...>