Date: 10/31/18 1:25 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons & Fort Sheridan Hawk Watch-Goshawk! Wed 10-31-18
Hello Bird People,

Went by myself to Skokie Lagoons From Willow Road in the early a.m.
Then I went to the Fort Sheridan Hawk Watch with other hawk watchers.
Overall it was a slow day but I saw a couple of interesting species at
The Lagoons & 1 stunner at the Hawk Watch. Here's my lists.

Skokie Lagoons From Willow (8-9:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1-IM)
Canada Geese (59)
Mallard (22)
HOODED MERGANSER (1-M)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-AD, chased a squirrel but missed)
Rock Pigeon (Flock of 9)
Mourning Dove (2 in a tree)
Red Bellied (2), Downy (2) & Hairy (1) Woodpeckers
Blue Jay (Heard 1)
Crows (2)
Chickadee (2)
W.B. Nuthatch (1)
Golden Crowned Kinglet (1)
Eastern Bluebird (Heard 1)
Robins (~25)
Starling (7)
Cardinal (5)
Song Sparrow (2)
FOX SPARROW (8-10, some singing that finch like song)
Junco (groups of 10 & 4)
Red Winged Blackbird (a few singing)
RUSTY BLACKBIRD (1)
Goldfinch (6)

Fort Sheridan Hawk Watch (10 a.m.-1 p.m.)

Hawk watchers today were only Vic Berardi, Jeff Sanders, John Leonard & myself.

At 1st not much was moving but then a slow but steady stream of Red
Tailed Hawks went through. Besides the Red Tails we saw one local
Coopers Hawk & before I got there 1 local Kestrel was hunting. Then at
about 12:30 or so one NORTHERN GOSHAWK went by to the west. It was not
a close look by any means but I got my scope on it & saw an accipiter
as big as a Red Tailed Hawk with a heavy body structure. Guess that
makes it a Goshawk. Thanks to Vic for finding the bird & confirming
the I.D.

Non-Raptors seen were never ending Chimney Swifts (2-3), Canada Geese
& Sandhill Cranes.
Land birds were Mourning Doves, Red Headed & Red Bellied Woodpeckers,
Blue Jays,
W.B. Nuthatch, Junco's & Goldfinches.

No doubt about the top bird today. Bird-Of-The-Day to the Goshawk &
Runners-Up to the Rusty Blackbird & all the Fox Sparrows.

Al Stokie
In both Cook & Lake Co's today.

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: