Date: 10/31/18 12:30 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Western Tanager, Palm Warbler, Osprey, etc. around Seaside Sewage Ponds
See my ebird list here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49583046

I walked entirely around the Seaside (Clatsop County) Sewage Plant and out
in the dune headland shorepine dotted end of the spit and along the bank
stabilization area along the Necanicum Estuary this late morning. There was
a mixed Chickadee and Junco flock that contained the PALM WARBLER,
Townsend's warblers, and a late migrant female WESTERN TANAGER. I first
encountered this flock in the pines and willows north of the north border
fence of the sewage plant. A late OSPREY was working the Necanicum River.

I also saw from a short distance (less than 5m) a seemingly
smaller-than-Anna's female or juvenile hummingbird that may have been a
Selasphorus sp., likely Rufous, but it got away before I could get
binocular on it.

One or two BLACK PHOEBES were calling and working all over the area from
the east side of the river channel by the overlook to all the way out west
along the the vertical dune cut bank of the spit.

I initially decided to go over to the sewage ponds when I spotted a
possible Tropical Kingbird on top of the NE corner of the fence Sitka
Spruce tree from the Overlook west of the high school, but when I got my
scope out, it had departed from that perch. I did not relocate the bird
later.

David

David C. Bailey
Seaside, Oregon