Date: 10/31/18 11:05 am
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Eared Grebe - Willapa Bay (nearby WA)

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 1:32 PM, Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
>
> Horned Grebes are regular on bays and the ocean in winter. Eared are outnumbered by maybe two orders of magnitude. Eared Grebes' flight muscles atrophy in winter making them temporarily flightless! They winter in a select few places such as the Salton Sea. The biggest numbers I've seen in western Oregon were at the Philomarh lagoons, this time of year. Are there ever any lingering for the Christmas Count?

I think they are misidentified often, especially when Horned Grebes are in a “messy” plumage. When I have seen them on the northern Oregon coast it has usually been on sewage ponds, such as the ones at Nehalem.

Jeff Gilligan

(BTW: I got a new Willapa yard bird yesterday: White-throated Sparrow.)

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!