Date: 10/31/18 5:19 am
From: Scott Weidensaul <scottweidensaul...>
Subject: Snowy owl, Luzerne/Lackawanna
Although it was seen only briefly, and not again since, I had a report from federal wildlife officials of a snowy owl on Monday at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport. That’s remarkably early for this far south, although there were actually an unusual number of snowies that came south in last year’s big irruption and oversummered in places like Massachusetts. Whether this bird was an early arrival from the Arctic, or one of the summering owls moving farther south, we can’t say — but keep your eyes open in the usual places.

As in the past, Project SNOWstorm will be tracking and tagging snowy owls this winter — you can follow our work at www.projectsnowstorm.org.

Scott Weidensaul
Schuylkill Haven, PA

Join us on Facebook!