Date: 10/30/18 7:35 pm
From: <lutherhaige...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] 50 lb Black Oil Sunflower $15.99 at Menards
Walmart has sunflower chips for about $6 a for a 5.5 pound bag. I have a window feeder going with that for goldfinches and pine siskins in the winter. I have a niger feeder going, and two peanut feeders, the metal grate type (I had a red-breasted nuthatch at one of those today.) During the winter months I buy whole peanuts in the shell at the feed store in Papio. Bluejays go nuts for those, 35 + bluejays once word gets around. My primary food is a small (finely ground, not the coarse stuff for hens) chick scratch mix (crack corn, wheat, milo I think) that I mix with white millet. If you want to attract the native sparrows, you have to broadcast the white millet around your yard in the fall. My best feeder is a 12 tall colorado blue spruce. I just throw the seed mix up into the branches and the birds love it. Especially if there is freezing drizzle or snow on the branches. I get every species of birds in the area feeding from that tree. I broadcast seed all over my backyard when fall migration is on. I don't clean up my garden area so it gets a little wild looking at times, but that's where the birds like to hang out too. Broadcasting seed about has its drawbacks, especially when it snows out. I gradually work the seed closer to my house and have protected areas (from the snow) where the birds will learn to come to feed in bad weather.

Robert Manning
Central Omaha

Join us on Facebook!