Date: 10/30/18 7:38 pm
From: <jennfrost67...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Evening grosbeaks & bears...
1. I am jealous reading about the many Evening grosbeak sightings. I have
not seen one here in Dunbarton for 15 yrs.
Are these sighting considered an irruption? If not, I wonder why I do not
attract them at my home
in the woods .I feed sunflower chips along with black oil seeds, suet.
2. Many here are describing birds at their feeders, seems early to have
feeders out in regards to bears still being awake?
Has anyone been seeing bears? Last year we constructed a "Bear proof
feeder" with plans sent to us from Cornell Ornithology
lab.Feeders are hung on a cable, strung 15 feet high in between 2 large
trees with 3 feet of metal flashing 6 feet from the base
of each tree.We use a pole to raise/lower feeders. The bears still come,
but cannot reach the feeders. There are many slashed
claw marks on the metal flashing.We have see SO many bears here over the
years, but none can now reach the feeders.
It works!