Date: 10/30/18 6:07 pm
From: 'Molly Jacobson' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] new hotspot in Merrimack
Hi everyone!It's been a while! I have been in Cape May, NJ, for the fall helping out with migration monitoring and outreach for the Cape May Bird Observatory. I'll be headed home early next week and I look forward to doing the CBC and checking up on my favorite spots.  I just wanted to give a shoutout though - this summer I nominated a birding spot in Merrimack for a hotspot and it was approved today. Grater Woods is a 480-acre conservation property spanning a large tract of land between the middle school and Baboosic Lake. It's widely used for many forms of recreation and has a wide network of trails through a variety of ecologically important habitat types, including many wetlands. I birded there a few times this spring and was blown away by the level of diversity and activity. However, it's severely underbirded! I know other checklists have been submitted from there, so I encourage those who have gone there to merge their checklists with the new hotspot. I also encourage birders to check out the site this coming year, so we can figure out what's there! I'd love for it to be as regularly visited as Horse Hill Nature Preserve. It has incredible potential I think! Plus it's just a really nice place to walk, any time of year.
Anyway just thought I'd give that plug, because I'm excited about it! I think a lot of places in Merrimack have unexplored potential and I hope to bird around town more often this winter.
(The hotspot might not yet be publicly accessible for 24 hours.)
Happy birding!-Molly JacobsonMerrimack