Date: 10/30/18 2:27 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden & Techny North Tuesday 10-30-18
Hello Bird People,

I had a lot of leaf raking to do before it rained so I went close to
home so I could get back before the rain. But it was a very slow day
so most folks will find nothing interesting in my report.
You've been warned!

Chicago Botanic Garden (8:15-11:15 a.m.)

Pied Billed Grebe (3, in exactly the same places as last week)
Great Blue Heron (2)
Canada Geese (187)
Wood Duck (5)
Mallard (21)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-AD hunting)
Rock Pigeon (1 fly-by)
Kingfisher (1 heard not seen)
Downy Woodpecker (1-M)
Hairy Woodpecker (1-F)
Blue Jay (6)
Crows (3 fly-bys)
Chickadee (5)
(I don't know where the Red Breasted Nuthatches have gone? They've
gone from many to none.)
Ruby Crowned Kinglet (3)
Robins (~15)
American Tree Sparrow (1)
Song Sparrow (1)
Swamp Sparrow (1)
Junco (7)
Red Winged Blackbird (1 & 6 fly-bys)
Grackle (1)
Goldfinch (12-15)
House Sparrow (2)
(Still no migrant ducks or winter finches.)

Techny North Of Willow (11:30-11:55 a.m.)

Great Egret (1, still here)
Canada Geese (3)
Mallard (36)
Gadwall (8)
Ring Billed Gull (1)

My usual fall back for top bird on a day like this would be the
Kingfisher for the entertainment factor but I only heard it & the top
bird must be seen. So I'll go with the Great Egret which has been at
Techny North since July chasing away all the other Egrets if they dare
fly in. This is an award for faithfulness to territory. So
Bird-Of-The-Day goes to that Great Egret.
Runners-Up to the fine looking Wood Ducks, glamour counts today.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: