Date: 10/30/18 12:23 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Indoor Birding
Last rainy weekend was a great day for some Indoor (Historical) Birding--at
the Expo Center Antique Show/Sale.

A great find was a 20x24" laquered, framed page of a pair of Passenger
Pigeons from a 1911 Calendar
by Louis Agassiz Fuertes published by a gun company in Ithaca NY, the home
of Cornell Univ.
(Yes, Fuerters illustrated many hunting venues in addition to his many,
many ornithological pursuits;
and did mammals as well).

Of more local interest were 2 17x13" framed photos by William Lovell Finley
(1876-1953) (of Finley Refuge fame).
These were put out by the large (now) Finlay-Sunset Mortuary in Portland's
West Hills;
to whose owners he was related. They were apparently put out on an annual
basis. This calendar had been for 1935.
See attached--my photo of the pictures are a little fuzzy but the originals
are not. The photo reproductions are
described as 'etchings' but I'm not sure what that means in this sense. They
are signed by Finley ('in the plate') but
are not offset lithographs (no newspaper-like dots).

Has anyone ever seen any of these calendars?

Finley teamed with HT Bohlman (Sorta like Gabrielson & Jewett) in many
birding expeditions in
which they used the large, bulky view/plate cameras of the day for bird
photography. Their most
famous sequence is probably that filmed at a California Condor nesting cave
in California. (1906)
See the following, but the photos are from Portland Audubon Society.

http://ca.audubon.org/news/when-california-condor-flew-above-southern-california

There is a brief Finley biography with a slide show including his
photographic exploits at

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/finley_william_l_1876_1953_/#.W9inq9QrLbQ

Bob OBrien Carver OR

Join us on Facebook!