Date: 10/30/18 11:58 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: eBorg #2
Some old-and-crusty birders are intimidated by the size of their paper record pile. I solved part of that problem by hiring a young birder who was familiar with ebird to enter my Lane County material that was usable.

Jay is quite right that paper records can disappear. We lost most of Hilda Reiher’s south coast records from the 1930s-early 1970s because her family tossed them. Fortunately Range Bayer saved some. Tucked away in there was Oregon’s earliest record of Anna’s hummer.

We lost all of Ann Ward’s unpublished mid-century records from Baker County, despite requests from me and others, because she chose to keep her bird notes in the same journal as her divorce notes and religious musings.

We lost Overton Dowell’s early 20th C records from the Florence area for unknown reasons. They may still be in a box somewhere.

We don’t know what happened to Charles Quaintance’s Union County records from the 1950s and 1960s. I tracked down his son and daughter. They have no idea.

Among the material I have prepared for my brother for when I fall down dead is a note saying that my bird material is to go to Vjera Thompson and Matt Hunter.

For those of you who have lots of handwritten notes, I encourage you to be clear with family as to what happens to them. I know of two incidents in Oregon in which valuable mid-20th C bird notes were found purely by good fortune in used book stores.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

<acontrer56...>

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 11:37 AM, Jay Withgott <withgott...> wrote:
>

> Paul, I share your 40-plus years of birding. I share your 40-plus years of meticulous notes on paper, stuffed away in file cabinets. I share and appreciate your historical perspective, and I see wisdom in your prediction that eBird will one day be superseded by something else that we cannot now conceive of. And I certainly respect your right — and anyone’s — to bird and to keep bird records in whatever way they choose.

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!