Date: 10/30/18 11:03 am
From: Eric Culbertson <ebc101...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Carpinteria and Summerland local interest
I checked some areas in Carpinteria plus the Ortega Ridge pines yesterday October 29th and saw some nice birds of local interest.

At Padaro Ln a CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE was with bushtit in Arroyo Paredon Creek. Also here was a cackling goose (very small without a white neck band) and a Black-throated gray warbler. I couldn't find a swamp sparrow where one has been found during previous years along the south end of the lane although habitat is slightly reduced here since last winters flooding.

At the Pacifica Graduate Institute along Lambert Rd a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW (white-striped) was in the vegetable garden along with sooty fox sparrow. Previous winters I've found tan-striped birds here. An impressive group of 14 white pelican passed over headed west while I was birding the campus. Where did they end up?

Two PYGMY NUTHATCH continued in pines at the corner of Ortega Ridge Rd and Greenwell above Summerland.

Lillingston Canyon Rd in Carpinteria continues to be a reliable spot for STELLER'S JAY with two seen there in the afternoon.

Lake Jocelyn in Carpinteria had eight aleutian cackling geese and seven blue-winged teal among other waterfowl.

I was unable to find a varied thrush at Carpinteria creek when I walked between 6th and 8th streets during the late afternoon.

Eric Culbertson
Carpinteria

View/Reply Online (#27862): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27862
-=-=-