Date: 10/30/18 9:40 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Boiler Bay 10/29
County records can aid researchers if they are looking at a large-scale issue, for example continent-wide migration timing. That’s more true in the east, with its tiny square counties (Oregon has 36, Missouri, a smaller state, has over 100).

However, it’s true that if you combine county records with site records, your data gets a little furry. That is fatal for a local study but not for a large geographical area.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 9:22 AM, Robert Lockett <robert.s.lockett...> wrote:
>
> Tim,
>
> Good question, and one many of us face. You can move those records into eBird, if your intention is to make eBird your listing platform. The county-wide records will have no value as data for researchers, but they might have value to you. EBird allows users to enter records for a county, a state, or even an entire country. You don’t need to have number of individuals (just enter an “X”) or even a valid date (just choose something like 1/1/00). Then mark the records as historical. The records for Pima County, entered this way, will be added to your Pima County, Arizona, United States, and World lists.
> Again, such records don’t aid researchers, but they can serve you for listing purposes.
>
> On Oct 30, 2018, at 7:44 AM, Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> <mailto:<timrodenkirk...>> wrote:
>
>> I have 66,000 records on my old data base. Many records only to county (e.g. Pima County, AZ which includes multiple sites which I did not separate or try to differentiate) and some of these including multiple dates. I don’t think I could move much of this info to eBird even??
>>
>> Tim Rodenkirk
>> Coos Bay
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 11:33 PM Robert O'Brien <baro...> <mailto:<baro...>> wrote:
>> As a frequent eBird reader I'll strongly second that. I don't know if Phil has already or plans to upload all his past data, a truly formidable task, exceeded only by the difficulty and adventure of getting it in the first place.
>> bob obrien
>>
>> On Monday, October 29, 2018, Phil Pickering <philliplc...> <mailto:<philliplc...>> wrote:
>> > Things finally picking up the last 2 days after a long
>> > dead stretch. Highlight today 12 gull sp including
>> > Franklin's.
>> > https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49543690 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49543690>
>> > Phil

Join us on Facebook!