Date: 10/30/18 9:18 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] On keeping notes
There is definitely value in keeping handwritten notes from a place or day. They last essentially forever if archived somewhere, you can add as much detail as you like, particularly regarding habitat and behavior, and you can always enter into eBird (or some future data-vacuum) at least some of the things that they want for their purposes.

My brief notes from Boiler Bay in the 1990s were good enough that I was able to put most of that data into eBird where it will be useful to people who use eBird as a data source.

The other big advantage of making your own notes is that you can revisit them years later and say Oh wow, I remember the great experience of that day. Or OMG I remember that hideous storm. That’s harder to do with a plain database.

Finally, the law allows you to go out and enjoy birds without taking any notes at all, should you be so inclined. I have done it myself.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 8:46 AM, Tom Crabtree <tc...> wrote:
>
> They could be imported in bulk as Craig suggested, but the regional editor would end up marking a lot of checklists as not public because of protocol issues with dates and locations.
>
> Tom Crabtree, Bend

Join us on Facebook!