Date: 10/30/18 5:19 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fwd: Powell Butte in PDX- SWSP and Friends
Most subscribers to Obol do not know bird banders' code. I have used it in
a few posts recently after first using the species' names in full. I had to
stop and try out a few possibilities first, I guess SWSP is Swamp Sparrow,
NSHR is Northern Shrike, and NOPO l am quite certain is Northern Pygmy Owl.
I have long used "HOWR" for House Wren. If this be the case for the above
post that's quite a late date. Thanks for taking the time to put this on
Obol Clayton. A few folks mine eBird nowadays but I'll bet there's over
1000 Obol subscribers who never do, and these are all great species. Three
would be County birds for me(whether that's Multnomah or Clackamas).
I'll offer the vague caveat that tooting like a Pygmy Owl elicits mob
response in many passerines. There's a chance another birder was on Powell
Butte unknown to Clayton. But for all you owl lovers, it's well worth
chasing. Good habitat, etc. Close to town. The species is common, but
easily missed if it's quiet. The call is audible over a great distance and
can be heard any time of day, much of the night, most of the year. Lars

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018, 11:39 PM Clayton Rickett <crrickett11...>
wrote:

> Hello OBOLers,
>
> This prevening, in between rain showers, I had a few interesting
> encounters. All were located off of or near the Douglas Fir trail,
> primarily at the NE end.
>
> A drenched but inquisitive SWSP was most exciting.
> Also of note were a conspicuous immature NSHR, one very rowdy HOWR, & a
> briefly vocal but cryptic NOPO.
>
> If others are interested, please see my checklist below for more specific
> details.
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49553815
>

> Best,
>
> Ross Barnes-Rickett