Date: 10/29/18 9:11 pm
From: Jack Maynard <jmaynard...>
Subject: [obol] Re: eBorg
Paul,

Don’t let them fool you. All data are historical.
Thanks for keeping your records and being willing to share. They are valuable.

I wish I was young enough to get your house sparrow count on my birthday. I also wish I’d kept track of all the birds I saw, or that my wife told me I was seeing 25 years before I did.
Now when I get a life bird, she is apt to tell me I saw it first years ago. 😉

Jack Maynard
NE PDX

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 29, 2018, at 8:37 PM, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...> wrote:
>
> I started birding 40 years ago. The first year I kept lists on separate pieces of paper.
> The second year I was told to keep a notebook. I started and I'm still doing it.
> The third year I was told to not only list the species, but to count how many of each species each day. I'm still doing that.
> [If you're under 40, send me your birthdate and I'll tell you how many house sparrows I saw the day you were born.]
> A few years later I was led to keep track of each county separately. I'm still doing that.
>
> Then people came along after 36 years and said I should have been keeping track of each 5-mile segment of road separately, recording the latitude/longitude, and the time spent at each stop. I should have recorded each pond at each refuge separately.
>
> They say I've been doing it all wrong all this time! My data is just "historical." It doesn't fit their paradigm.
>
> Why did I bother? ;-)
> - - - - - - - - - - -
> I like my data. It was fun collecting it. The people I birded with were good company. ;-)
>
> The waterthrush today was fun.
>
> Paul Sullivan
> -----------------------
> Subject: eBorg
> Date: Mon Oct 29 2018 20:52 pm
> From: w.douglas.robinson AT gmail.com
>
> Even Phil Pickering is on eBird now. Who�s next? Paul Sullivan?
>
> Resistance is futile, Paul....
>
> You shall be assimilated.
>

> Doug
>

> POST: Send your post to <obol...>