Date: 10/29/18 9:09 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: eBorg #2
Years ago the native people of America kept track of birds for food and for ritual. Their records weren't written.
Then came the explorers who "discovered" these birds for science. They wrote journals with funny spelling. When the canoe tipped over some of their records were lost. When they got back to Philadelphia some of them didn't get their data published.
The Hudson's Bay company kept meticulous records for 75 years, but they were interested in fur more than feathers.
Early white settlers kept spotty records.
Early military expeditions kept various records.
States didn't have Game Departments until we were well into the 20th century. The federal government had the army, then the biological survey, then the US Fish & Wildlife Service (I'm sure I missed a few in there)
Wilson, Audubon, Fuertes, Bendire, Coues and all the rest began to keep track.
We had The Oologist, Bird Lore, Audubon magazine, American Birds...
We had Oregon Birds, then OBOL, BirdNotes, eBird.

Each wave comes on with the promise of comprehensive capture and storage, recording what birds are out there. Each supersedes [i.e. displaces, makes outmoded, no longer used, no longer maintained] the system that has gone before. I know this is heresy, but I believe eBird will suffer the same fate. The next wave will have something new we haven't imagined.

I'm old now. I'm keeping my paper copies.

Paul Sullivan
-----------------------
Subject: eBorg
Date: Mon Oct 29 2018 20:52 pm
From: w.douglas.robinson AT gmail.com

Even Phil Pickering is on eBird now. Who s next? Paul Sullivan?

Resistance is futile, Paul....

You shall be assimilated.

Doug

POST: Send your post to <obol...>