Date: 10/29/18 2:03 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach, North Pt Marina, Pine Dunes F.P. & Independence Grove Mon 10-29-18
Hello Bird People,

Started at Waukegan with Bob Erickson & then did North Point & Pine
Dunes with Bob & Andy Stewart & finally did Independence Grove by
myself. Never really found anything special as I missed the best bird
of the day but there were somewhat interesting birds that I did see.

Waukegan Beach & Pier (7:15-8:15 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1 on the pier)
Canada Geese (14 fly-bys)
Mallard (6)
Red Breasted Merganser (1-F in the lake by the pier)
Sanderling (2 on the pier & the beach)
Dunlin (32, sleeping on the pier when we 1st arrived so we left them
alone but when we returned 30 min later they had all left except for
one)
Ring Billed (30) & Herring (40) Gulls
SNOW BUNTING (1 on the beach)
Red Winged Blackbird (by the inlet, some singing)

North Point Marina (8:45-9:15 a.m.)

Arrived after Bob did & Andy was already there but I arrived too late
as the others had just seen a fairly close RED THROATED LOON but it
had moved north & out of sight. Still had 2 Common Loons & 11 Red
Breasted Mergs. Looked for Snow Buntings but only heard some & saw
Junco's.

Pine Dunes F.P. (9:45-11 a.m.)

Went here to find a LeConte's Sparrow as Beau, Andy & Steve M had seen
2 a few days ago. Walked the area where they had been but did not find
anything. Then the Lake County forest preserve police arrived & said
there's no off trail walking allowed & we had to stay on the trail so
that ended our LeConte's adventure as that species does not spend much
time on trails.
Andy & Bob left but I stayed to see what water birds were there.

P.B. Grebe (12)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Geese (~200)
Mallard (~25)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-PR)
Coots (6)
SANDHILL CRANE (2)
Didn't cover the wooded area but did heard Red Bellied Woodpeckers & Blue Jays.
I found some sparrows but not LeConte's.
American Tree (3), Savannah (1) & Song (3) Sparrows
Heard a few Goldfinch

Independence Grove (12:05-1:35 p.m.)

COMMON LOON (1, a good, close look)
P.B. Grebe (9. all in the same area)
Canada Geese (~350)
CACKLING GEESE (2, very tiny with small bills)
(I have become a Cackling Goose finder as 1 also had 2 yesterday.)
Mallard (8)
Ring Billed Gull (7)

The ducks don't seem to have arrived yet but there are plenty of geese
to sort through.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Common Loon at Independence Grove as I had such
a good look.
Runners-Up to the Cackling Geese, the Sandhill Cranes & the one Snow Bunting.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: