Date: 10/29/18 7:39 am
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] HMSC Palm Warbler
After a relatively bird-less day on Saturday, and very low expectations for today (Sunday's weather forecast was rather miserable), Taghrid and I had an unexpectedly good day birding in the Newport area today. While a bit windy, the sun was out in force, and we managed at last to catch up with a Palm Warbler at the Hatfield Marine Sciences Center (a lifer for both of us). The bird was fairly cooperative, flitting around between a few fairly open spots, and holding still enough for some decent photos. And did I mention that the sun was out? 😀

Overall a very nice day - not a huge species count, but very good looks at most. Highlights:

• 12 Black Oystercatchers (Depoe Bay - on the rocks around the Whale Watch Center, both north and south of the outlet)
• 1 Palm Warbler (HMSC Nature Trail at 44.623003, -124.042377)
• Lots of White-crowned Sparrows almost everywhere we went
• 1 White-throated Sparrow at Yaquina Bay State Park (44.625319, -124.061825)
• 12 Brant on mud flats north of the shelter on HMSC Nature Trail
• Surf Scoters, Western Grebes, Common Loons at South Jetty
• 8-10 Red-necked Grebes also at South Jetty, with most of them only visible when walking the dune trail past the gravel parking lot at the end of the road

Photos can be found at https://flic.kr/s/aHsmpYaSeb.

One more note regarding the Palm Warbler - the bird appears to have a deformed/injured right leg, which is clearly visible in one of the photos I posted. There seems to be some orangish clumps hanging from the leg, and that leg's claw seems to be permanently clenched tight and in a vertical position, such that the bird seems unable to actually spread out its toes (is that the right term for birds?).

Good birding,

Nagi & Taghrid

Join us on Facebook!