Date: 10/29/18 7:09 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (28 Oct 2018) 55 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 21:00:00
Total observation time: 12.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (13): Ray McBride, Jerry Jeffers, Kathleen Pileggi, Colleen
DelMonte, Lana Glass, Harvey Rubenstein, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Mike Gardner,
Carolyn Holland, Julie Engiles, Lamar & Sherry Desmond
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 6,200-3,700 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 44 - 56F, Winds SW @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (62) and Turkey Vultures (49).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ It’s a busy day today with the regular walk coming first.
I don’t lead this one, but will go along for a bit before breaking off for
the hawk watch. Finally, we have an “owl prowl” this evening. As it
turned out, I was exhausted, overslept and missed the walk, I’m sorry to
say. Mike stopped up with the bird walk group and reported they had loads
of sparrows, along with Blackpoll Warbler, Winter Wren, and Hermit Thrush.
There certainly was a major influx of sparrows here today.
<BR><BR>
Hawk movement was not too profound today leaving time to enjoy other birds.
As I was quietly sitting and watching our feeders, a Red Fox strolled up
one of our trails, passed mere feet from me and sauntered down another
mowed path. WOW!! Shortly thereafter, a somewhat late Common Yellowthroat
came in to the water feature. The Fox did that thing - parading in front
of me, up one trail and down another, two additional times. He pounced for
a rodent at the feeders [beware, Meadow Vole!], coming up empty – THIS
TIME!
<BR><BR>
“Grillmaster Jerry” was here today and brought steaks to grill up in his
kitchen here at the site. They were the best ever, Jerry!
<BR><BR>
As we began the “owl prowl” portion of the day, an American Woodcock flew
by us. A troop of girl scouts were on one walk, hearing Great Horned Owl
and Screech Owls, while my group heard a Barred Owl and Screech Owl. None
of the owls came in to be seen this evening. We soothed that
disappointment with some fine hot chocolate.
<BR><BR>
We identified 53 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, American
Kestrel, American Woodcock, Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl, Eastern Screech
Owl, Belted Kingfisher, Red-breasted Nuthatch, American Pipit, Common
Yellowthroat, Palm Warbler, Savannah Sparrow, American Tree Sparrow,
White-crowned Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch. New for this year’s
“hawk watch area” species list was American Woodcock. [140 species for
the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
American Woodcock, Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl, Eastern Screech Owl,
Belted Kingfisher, Red-breasted Nuthatch, American Pipit, Common
Yellowthroat, Palm Warbler, Savannah Sparrow, American Tree Sparrow,
White-crowned Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Gray Squirrel, Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.23; Steps: 9,060; Floors: 9.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season: 140
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” American
Woodcock.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks pretty good with strong NW winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek