Date: 10/29/18 5:47 am
From: Andrea Wiggins <akwiggins...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] GHOW in Elmwood Park
I just had a surprising treat! Waiting for my morning coffee to brew, I heard a hooting sound from inside the house. Knowing owls are unlikely in Midtown Omaha, I assumed it was a really loud Mourning Dove on my chimney.

But the calls weren’t right and the songbirds were just starting their morning chatter, so I went outside to check. A large owl was perched in the linden tree behind my house!

I dashed back indoors for my binoculars to get a better view, while the owl kept sounding off. When I returned, I realized it sounded like there were two owls whose calls were overlapping and started to check other trees for another owl. Then I saw the first owl’s head swivel to point right at the second owl.

Not one, but TWO Great Horned Owls sitting in my linden tree!

After a few minutes, GHOW #1 swooped around the tree to practically land on top of GHOW #2, who took exception to this treatment and departed. GHOW #1 sat and called for a few more minutes, giving my husband time to get a good look as well.

I hope your week is off to as good of a start as mine!

Good birding,

Andrea

Andrea Wiggins
Omaha, NE

——————

Elmwood Park Yard 2
Oct 29, 2018
7:20 AM
Stationary
9 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.8.1 Build 4

2 Great Horned Owl
6 White-throated Sparrow
1 Northern Cardinal
4 House Sparrow

Number of Taxa: 4

Posted by: Andrea Wiggins <akwiggins...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)