Date: 10/28/18 3:49 pm
From: Pam Hunt <biodiva...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Concord birds: 64 species, including WR Sandpiper, Marsh Wren, 4 species warblers

Greetings all,

Despite some persistent drizzle in the morning, and again around 4, it turned out to be an excellent day to bird around Concord. The Penacook Survey netted a respectable 42 species, including continuing good numbers of sparrows (Song 22, White-throat 32, junco 76) and Yellow-rumps (10). A single Chipping Sparrow is all that remains of the hoards from 2-3 weeks ago, but Am Tree Sparrows are building up (3). Other highlights included a late phoebe, single Palm Warbler, quite a few Golden-crowned Kinglets (17), 3 siskins, and a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

After breakfast I wandered around Morrill's Farm for 2.5 hours, tallying 44 species. Highlights were myriad, including 5 species of shorebirds, 9 of sparrows, and 4 of warblers, as follows:

Shorebirds: 10 Killdeer, 5 Pectorals, 1 WHITE-RUMP (my first for Concord), 1 Solitary (getting quite late now), and 2 snipe.
Sparrows: 1 tree, 37 Savannah, 99 Song (approximately!), 9 Swamp, 1 Lincoln's, 60 White-throats, 14 White-crowns, and 40 juncos
Warblers: 1 Nashville, 4 Palms, 76 Yellow-rumps, and 1 Black-throated Green
Also of note: 5 Green-winged Teal, 4 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and 21 pipits

An errand took me into town, so while there I took a walk around Horseshoe Pond. Again, lots of Yellow-rumps, Song and Swamp Sparrows, and another 4 Palm Warblers. Bu the highlight here was ANOTHER person first for Concord: Marsh Wren - about halfway down the inner curve of the pond in a patch of cattails. Honorable mentions go to Great Blue Heron, Bald Eagle, and Peregrine Falcon.

And to top of the day, I heard a catbird in my back yard while installing my feeder pole for the season. The actual feeders will go up in the morning, since there's been a bear around!

As others have noted, this has been an exceptional week or so for Yellow-rumped Warblers, and the ones at Morrill's this afternoon were moving like a slow wave across the cornfields heading north. Most were feeding in the open and on the ground, often with sparrows. It's also been a great month for inland shorebirds. The Concord November Challenge is only 5.5 days away, and here's hoping some of these goodies stick around.

Good Birding,
Pam Hunt, Penacook