Date: 10/28/18 2:53 pm
From: Vivek Govind Kumar <vivekgk3...>
Subject: Chesney Prairie/Siloam Springs Airport - October 28th
I visited Chesney Prairie this morning with Alyssa DeRubeis. We had excellent views of LeConte's Sparrows at close range. They were seen along the eastern trail (around halfway between the gate and the line of trees that divides the prairie into two halves) and were very confiding. A Red-breasted Nuthatch was seen on the western side and might possibly a first record for Chesney. Several flocks of Brown-headed Cowbirds were flying east throughout the morning (approximate count 2600 - average flock size 200-300). No Sedge/Marsh Wrens were observed today.

11 sparrow species were present- Field (12), Fox (1-FOS), Dark-eyed Junco (3), White-crowned (20), White-throated (5), Vesper (9), LeConte's (8), Savannah (50), Song (40), Lincoln's (12), Swamp (20).

Other observations of interest - Wood Duck (7), Blue-winged Teal (4), Wilson's Snipe (1), Greater Yellowlegs (1), Northern Harrier (1), Accipiter sp. (1), Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (2), Northern Flicker (4), Falco sp. (1 -probably Merlin), Golden-crowned Kinglet (2), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (3), American Pipit (3), Pine Siskin (2), Rusty Blackbird (1-FOS), Orange-crowned Warbler (1), Palm Warbler (2), Common Yellowthroat (1), Yellow-rumped Warbler (15).

We met Joe Neal, Joe Woolbright and Peter Shaffer towards the end of our walk. Joe Neal had heard Lapland Longspurs and Western Meadowlarks at Siloam Springs Airport earlier in the day, so I decided to head back there with them. We walked along the western perimeter and found Horned Larks (12) and American Pipits (25), but no longspurs or Western Meadowlarks. An adult Bald Eagle flew fairly close to some skydivers who were landing at the airport.

Joe Neal and I then explored the country roads adjacent to Chesney, where we found a few ducks (Gadwall (15), Mallard (3), Green-winged Teal (5)) and a sub-adult Bald Eagle.

Vivek Govind Kumar
Fayetteville

Join us on Facebook!