Date: 10/28/18 12:56 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Conservation Area (28 Oct 2018) 67 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 6 9

Total: 67 42599 53498

Observation start time: 07:30:00
Observation end time: 11:30:00
Total observation time: 4 hours

Official Counter: Cindy Isenhoff

Observers: Cramer

Visitors:
The Dynamic Duo from Tennessee was on the tower when I arrived. They spent
the first 3 hours there, and then left for lunch. Other than Theresa and
Jeanice we had 7 other visitors who stayed just a very short time.

Weather:
Very gray and overcast morning with light W winds to start turning to S by
late morning. The sun tried to break through clouds twice, but failed and
about 11:00am the predicted rain won out. Count was cut short due to the
rain that was predicted all afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
One Osprey was still seen hunting the marsh early this morning. The flight
this morning was very light due to the weather...I think most of the hawks
decided to wait out the rain and move tomorrow instead of the small dry
window they had today. We had only 5 species of migratory raptors today.

Non-raptor Observations:
Song birds were active around the tower this morning for the few hours. The
marsh has nice numbers of ducks, and those visible were counted and show on
the eBird report. American Gold Finch, American Crows and Blue Jays are
still migrating in flocks. 4 late Tree Swallows were noted as they passed
the tower.
Our best bird today was located in Lake Erie, just out from the feeder
creek at the hunt club property. 9 Wilson's Phalaropes were seen floating
with some Bufflehead ducks. It was a spotting scope view to be sure, but 5
in the group still had the distinctive dark stripe on the head and neck
with the white cheek. This is my first siting of this bird at Holiday
Beach in the Fall. Full report at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49520608

Predictions:
Mostly cloudy with temperatures about the same as today. Winds in the
morning will be WNW, gradually changing to W. Should be a better day for
the hawk flight.
Report submitted by Cindy Isenhoff (<akahawklady1...>)
Holiday Beach Conservation Area information may be found at:
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<63e217325147e0590b041a7bf7ba2d75...>