Date: 10/27/18 8:15 pm
From: Tommy Stone <tomtazzstone...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Western Sandpiper at Legacy W.A.
Today I saw a WESTERN SANDPIPER in with a flock of 10 Wilson's Snipes and 2 Semipalmated S. I initially thought all 3 peeps were Semipalmateds til they made another close pass and I noticed the one had a much longer bill, nearly twice the length of the 2 Semipalmated S. They seemed determined to land but never did. All three peeps were in there very pale non-breeding plumage. The flock eventually split up and the Western S. made one more close flyby with 2 Wilson's Snipes. The water level was high with limited shorebird habitat where I was standing.
Some other birds in the area were a flock of about 30 AM. PIPITS , 1 flyover PINE SISKIN, and several flyover L. LONGSPURS.
At Pintail Wetland, 2 AM. PIPITS and a H. GREBE.

Good birding,
Tommy Stone
Waterloo