Date: 10/27/18 8:10 pm
From: David Irons <LLSDIRONS...>
Subject: [obol] Re: RBA — Possible Bean Goose at Finley NWR today
Did anyone go to Cabell Marsh (bird seen from the overlook) and attempt to refind the Bean Goose reported there yesterday??? We spent the day at sea with the two Finnish Birders who found this bird. Bean Geese are common where they live and they are also familiar with Greater White-fronted Geese. Based on structure and bill pattern they believe the bird was a Tundra Bean Goose.

This is not just some spurious report from visiting birders who had no clue that a Bean Goose would be rare here. As noted before both Hannu Huhtinen (a Finnish Bird Records Committee member) and his friend Rasmus are well-traveled expert birders who have both visited the U.S. on multiple occasions. Part of their mission during this visit was to study Cackling Geese in an effort to get a better handle the various subspecies. There have been some stray white-cheeked geese in Finland and they are endeavoring to figure out which form they are getting. I had a chance to talk with them today and see their birding skills first hand. I have no reason to doubt their report.

Shawneen and I are considering a run down the valley to look for this bird, but we just did a very wet 8-hr pelagic trip on short sleep and tomorrow's forecast appears to be pretty damp. We will see how we feel in the morning. If Finley were a little closer to home, we'd be there for sure.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Join us on Facebook!