Date: 10/27/18 3:48 pm
From: Roy Gerig <roygerig...>
Subject: [obol] Say's Phoebe and juv. Northern Shrike Ankeny NWR 10/27/18
Birding and talking/catching up with Marty Cunningham, who hasn't been seen
for months now, a uniformly brown Shrike landed in the brush at the left
side of the parking pad as you look at Pintail Marsh over by the Honey Pot
around 1315 today. It was not a Brown Shrike. It was a juvenile NORTHERN
SHRIKE

At 1:30 PM where you should stop but often do not at the RR crossing of
Buena Vista Rd at the other side of Ankeny NWR, I did stop because I saw a
different Phoebe down the tracks 100 m. from the stop sign. It was a SAY'S
PHOEBE

Both species NSHR and SAPH should probably be considered rare in the local
area these days

There were about 20 Greater White-fronts and at least one late LESSER
YELLOWLEGS with some Greaters and LB Dowitchers and Least Sandpipers. A
Peregrine Falcon got so high I could not see it anymore, it must be long
gone by now. Two young Red-shouldered Hawks and two Black Phoebes were
around constantly

All except the Say's Phoebe were at Pintail Marsh midday
Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!