Date: 10/27/18 3:21 pm
From: Glenn Walbek <gwalbek...>
Subject: [cobirds] Marston tufted duck
I saw this bird on the west side of the reservoir and was somewhat puzzled.  Then I saw small but noticeable feather tufts on the back of the head, more noticeable than my distant pictures show.  I have seen exactly one tufted duck prior to this (not a juvi) so I am no expert on this species.  I was able to get some camera phone digi-scoped pictures which I have attached to my list.  I have to admit I am a bit troubled by the head shape of this bird.  It is a juvi so I am ok with the seemingly lack of a dark breast.  The head is shaped a bit like ring-necked duck imo, but it lacks the pale eyering and eyeline.  And I’ve never seen a ring-necked duck with tufts on the head with no eyering or eyeline. I was able to find similar looking juvi ‘tufted duck’ pictures online.   Comments are welcomed.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49494502

Glenn Walbek
Castle Rock, CO

Sent from Mail for Windows 10