Date: 10/27/18 3:08 pm
From: John Callender <jbc...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Carpinteria Creek birding, dredging operation
I birded Carpinteria Creek from Carpinteria Avenue to the wastewater treatment plant south of Sixth Street this morning. I didn't see anything super unusual, but once the fog lifted there was a fair amount of activity. My eBird list is here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49492424

I saw that the Carpinteria Sanitary District has begun a dredging operation in the Carpinteria Creek channel next to the wastewater treatment plant. Photos of what it looks like are in this Flickr album:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskLgkp9Y

Plastic sheeting has been set up in the creek bed, presumably to prevent silt from the dredging from getting into the rest of the creek. The earth-moving equipment (including a crane and two large backhoes) appear to be operating from within the wastewater treatment plant itself, reaching across the fence to dig out the portion of the creek bed next to the retaining wall.

A new sign reading "Keep Out: Authorized Personnel Only" has been placed at the northeast corner of the treatment plant, in the location often used by birdwatchers to access the retaining wall to bird the portion of the creek next to the plant. The nearby "Notice of Pending Permit" doesn't mention start or end dates for the project, which it describes as "Removal of dirt and debris from the damaged concrete embankment in order to assess the extent of damage and design for repair and replacement."

I plan to contact the sanitary district on Monday to see if I can get more specifics on the expected length of the operation.

John Callender
Carpinteria

View/Reply Online (#27854): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27854
-=-=-