Date: 10/27/18 1:48 pm
From: Derb Carter <derbc...>
Subject: Swamphen
Caveat that I have not researched the various Swamphens. The Gray-headed is the one reported from Florida, and as the name says is supposed to have a gray head. There are dozens of photos of Swamphens in Florida on ebird checklists. If you scan them head color in adults with red bills ranges from mostly gray to some gray to light blue to deep blue. Check it out if you are interested on ebird checklists for the hotspot: storm water treatment area 5/6 Hendry County Florida. Be sure to get to the photo of reported Gray-headed Swamphens on November 18, 2017 with a deep blue head and no gray. Again, I don't what this means, only what I see in photos.

Derb Carter

Join us on Facebook!