Date: 10/27/18 1:20 pm
From: Steve Compton <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: Purple Swamphen now named as Gray-headed Swamphen
Kent,
Thanks! In preparing for our trip to Southern Florida last year I had
a tough time figuring out what to call this species. We easily found
one in a Kendall shopping center in sight of I-95. Of course, Richard
Hayes and I were guided by local expert Larry Manfredi. What a weird
report! What is this species, that I assumed to be sedentary, doing in
SC? I guess it might stay around for a while, like the recent Kiskadee
or more distant Snail Kite.
Steve ComptonGreenville, SC

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DroidOn 26 Oct 2018 10:08 pm, Kent Fiala
<carolinabirds...> wrote:

In 2015, the Clements checklist (used by eBird) split Purple
Swamphen world-wide into 6 species. Of the 6, Gray-headed Swamphen
is the main one in Florida (although I think I may have heard
mention of other species also being possible). The American
Ornithological Society has not recognized this split, and their
checklist (used by the ABA and Carolina Bird Club) retains the
species as Purple Swamphen.

Kent Fiala

On 10/26/2018 10:00 PM, David McLean (via carolinabirds Mailing
List) wrote:

Fri 26 Oct 2018
All,
In reference to my report of a Purple Swamphen, I've learned
that the species has been renamed to Gray-headed Swamphen. My
Sibley app uses PUSW and that was my in-the-field reference. I
have submitted my eBird checklist with a couple of pics of a
Gray-headed Swamphen. See: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49481275
Regards,
David McLeanCharleston, SC

--