Date: 10/27/18 12:49 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Black-footed Albatross (1 report)
- Little Blue Heron (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (2 reports)
- Red-eyed Vireo (1 report)

Black-footed Albatross (Phoebastria nigripes) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 22, 2018 15:17 by Tracy McCarthey
- (34.7494,-121.3736), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.749358,-121.373637&ll=34.749358,-121.373637
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Photos"

Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea) (1)
- Reported Oct 27, 2018 12:03 by Benjamin Byerly
- Goleta Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Continuing juvenile "

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (2)
- Reported Oct 27, 2018 08:53 by David Compton
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Ron Hirst pointed out the first bird I saw.. This bird was silent whenever I saw it. It had yellow up through the breast and a long, slim bill compared to Cassin's Kingbird, one of which was also in the area. This individual also had a ragged tip to the tail. The tail feathers obviously had not molted recently and were all roughly the same length. The greater coverts were all evenly fresh, and I therefore assumed this bird to be an adult. I also looked at the folded primary tips on this bird, in relation to the tertials. The bird was apparently molting its primaries, given only one primary was obviously visible beyond the tertials.
The second bird appeared somewhat later. While at the middle viewing platform, I heard a Tropical Kingbird calling back to the east, near where the first kingbird had been perching when I arrived. As I walked back to that area, I saw a kingbird, still calling as a Tropical, fly to the easternmost island in the lagoon and land in the top of a myoporum shrub. Another long-billed kingbird was also ion the island. After a minute or so, one of the kingbirds returned, calling, then chased a Cassin's Kingbird from the sycamore where I had seen the first Tropical. This bird was overall in fresher plumage than the first, and had a tail feather growing in on the right side, exactly as can be seen in the photos of a reported Couch's Kingbird posted here:

https://ebird.org/spain/view/checklist/S49479801

Like the first bird, this one had yellow up through the breast, although I noted in this case that it was more greenish on the upper breast, with no gray anywhere on the breast. The bill was similar in shape to that of the first bird, but I thought maybe a little shorter and stouter. But subtly so. The tail was very fresh, and not at all ragged on the tip, and the outermost rectrix on the bird's right side was short and apparently growing in. The longer tail feather visible on the right side from underneath on the perched bird was relatively round at the tip, while the feather on the left side was pointed toward the outer edge. The tail looked less forked than that of the first bird. Several primary tips were visible beyond the tertials in the folded wing of this bird. There was a somewhat larger gap, but a substantial one, between two primary tips in the middle somewhere (I can't say between which primaries), This didn't strike me as being the obvious gap that appears to be common (consistent)? in Couch's.

I had no doubt the second bird was the one reported in the above checklist. It's persistent call was a typical version of the twitter that I have heard on occasion from Tropicals wintering in California."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 26, 2018 08:53 by Don Hoechlin
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Media: 8 Photos
- Comments: "Similar in size to Cassin’s Kingbird that was in the same dead tree. White throat that graded into bright yellow chest and belly. Greenish back with brown wings with lightly edged wing coverets and secondaries. Brown tail with no notching or white outer tail feathers. Call was like the call on Sibley’s first call recording. Disclaimer I have high frequency hearing loss in left year , but cadence was like the call just mentioned to me. + photos"

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (1)
- Reported Oct 24, 2018 08:30 by Libby Patten
- Camino Corto Open Space and Del Sol Vernal Pool Preserve, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4145111,-119.8673469&ll=34.4145111,-119.8673469
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Vireo with dark eyestripe, white eyebrow and dark cap. Eye appears to have a dark amber quality. Underparts a mix of white and yellow. Didn't have clear view of back. Found high up in Eucalyptus next to student housing units on west side of row of eucalyptus on Camino Majorca. Tree was just north of where grassland abuts housing area."

View/Reply Online (#27853): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27853
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>