Date: 10/27/18 12:26 pm
From: Steve Shultz <sshultz...>
Subject: Lake Mattamuskeet Trip Dec 1-2 - Carolina Bird Club
We had a recent cancellation that opens three spots on the upcoming field trip to Lake Mattamuskeet/Mattamuskeet NWR in Hyde Co, NC the weekend of December 1-2. If you would like to go, this is your chance! Details below.

Lake Mattamuskeet, North Carolina’s largest natural lake, shines as one of the Atlantic flyway’s most impressive sites for wintering waterfowl. Literally tens of thousands of ducks, geese, and swans make Mattamuskeet their winter home. And early December is prime time to visit and enjoy the spectacle. In addition to waterfowl, the National Wildlife Refuge provides excellent overall birding and nature observation opportunities. From sparrows to lingering warblers, wintering hummingbirds to waders, this trip promises a rich and varied list of species. We plan to visit various areas on the refuge and travel to nearby hotspots.

Sound like fun? Act quickly as space on this Bonus Trip is limited to 12 participants. This smaller group makes individualized interaction with the trip leaders easier and allows us to help you with identifying any of those “confusing little brown jobs”.

Logistics:

This trip visits Mattamuskeet NWR and surrounding areas on December 1st and 2nd. We will depart from the visitor center at the refuge at 7 a.m. Saturday and Sunday with a full day of birding on Saturday and a half day on Sunday. Registration cost is $25. You must be a member of the Carolina Bird Club to attend, but you may join at the same time as you register if you are currently not a member. Participants are responsible for lodging, meals, and transportation. All levels of birding experience are welcome.

Environmental hazards are few, and annoying insects are not usually problematic, but bring weather appropriate clothing and note that food service may be somewhat limited in Hyde County. Registered participants will receive a detailed FAQ with suggestions on lodging and food.

To Register:

Contact Steve Shultz for a reserved slot and a registration form. If your plans should change after registration, refunds are available through November 15th. After November 15th refunds are available if we can fill your slot.

Steve Shultz

sshultz at nc.rr.com

919-629-7226

Join us on Facebook!